Monday, December 8, 2014

Erica proudly works at Delta Dental of Oklahoma

This time last year, I was a Client Relations Representative and I worked with a lovely group of ladies. It was a good position and I did well. Now, I am a Marketplace Account Representative and I work with two even more wonderful ladies. I plan to make their Christmas presents but more on that later. This post is to showcase the gifts I made my coworkers last year.

I often buy too much material when I start crafts and projects. This idea came from having too much ribbon and too many beads. I looked around on Pinterest and other DIY blogs and saw these bracelets. While I was in bracelet mode, I also made travel bracelets for Wes and myself for when we went to Sydney. Two bracelet tutorials in one post. OMG! so exciting : )


1) Pearl and ribbon bracelet tutorial:

I suggest googling this and finding step-by-step pictures to accompany my instructions. It'll make it a lot easier.
Materials needed - wire, ribbon, pearls, scissors

1. Use as many pearls as about 3/4 the size of your wrist. Cut ribbon about 2.5 times the length you want the bracelet to be. Cut the wire about 1.5 times the length you want the bracelet to be. (I always use large numbers for measurements to stay on the safe side)
2. Poke the wire about 3 inches into your ribbon (the loose 3 inches will be what you use to tie it to your wrist). Work the wire into a knot where you initially poked it through.
3. String one pearl though the wire. Fold the ribbon into a small upside down "U" and poke the wire through the other end of the pearl.
4. String a pearl onto the wire and wrap the ribbon under the pearl.
5. Fold the ribbon into another small upside down "U" shape and poke the wire though the other side of the pearl.
6. Continue stringing pearls though, wrapping the  ribbon under and making upside down "U"s and poking the wire through the other end of the pearl until you're out of pearls.
7. Leave about 3 inches of ribbon and work the wire into another knot. Cut off excess wire.


2) Cord and hexagonal nut bracelet tutorial:

I suggest googling this and finding step-by-step pictures to accompany my instructions. It'll make it a lot easier.
Materials needed - cord or some type of tough string, hexagonal nuts (hardware stores call them hex nuts - lets call them beads) , tape & scissors

1. Use 16-20 beads plus one for the clasp. Actually, however many you want is fine as long as it's an even number. Grab the extra one to use for the next step. Cut three equal pieces of cord. I would use about 3 times the length you want your bracelet to be.
2. Tie the cord though one bead. Tape this bead down on a flat surface, I would recommend a table.
3. Braid about 1/4 of your string.
4. This next step will probably either sound very intuitive or confusing depending on how well you know how to braid. After you have a quarter of your string braided, start weaving the beads into the braid.  I've been braiding since I was very small and I probably couldn't give instructions on how to but I can give tips - string the beads tightly into the braid, string one bead after each cross over of string, braid very slowly. I don't know if its clear in the photo, but there's one full braid in between each bead.
5. After all your beads are weaved in, continue braiding the rest of your string. The beads should have taken up half your string so you'll have 1/4 remaining so, in theory, the first and last section of bracelet should be the same length. Mine didn't quite turn out that way.
6. Leave enough string to tie a loop knot at the end. The loop should be big enough to put the initial bead from step 2 though but not too big to where it'll fall through.

I apologize for the lack of pictures. They would have made the instructions a lot clearer. When I made these, I only had pictures but no instructions. Maybe if you find the DIY pictures online, you can use my instructions as a companion guide.

No comments:

Post a Comment