Monday, November 10, 2014

Erica's first full length tutorial!!

I decided to do the dogs' laundry today. (my allergies are killing me!!) One of Kensington's pillows got destroyed in the dryer and, in my fit of throwing pillow debris into the trash, I accidentally threw away one of Sadie's pillow cases. This is the perfect opportunity to do a real full-length tutorial with pictures because I'll have to make a new pillow and pillow case for the pups.


Puppy pillow tutorial:

Materials you'll need: cloth, something to stuff into the pillow (for some reason, Kensington likes sleeping on harder material instead of soft cotton pillow stuffing. So, I'm using old rags and towels for the "stuffing"), pencil, scissors, ruler, thread & needle or a sewing machine, if you have one.


1. Measure and cut the cloth into the size of the pillow you want (you'll need a piece for the front & one for the back).  My two pieces are 19inches wide x 17inches tall and pictured in the materials photo above.
2. Sew whatever decorations you want on the front of the pillow
I decided to stick with something simple.  

3. Sew the two square pieces together around the edges. Only sew three of the four edges together.

4. Stuff the empty pillow with your stuffing and sew the last edge together. If you are using a sewing machine, I find it easier to pin the last edge in place so no stuffing falls out while you're running it through the sewing machine.
 
 All done and on Kensington's bed. Now for Sadie's...

Puppy pillow case tutorial:
Materials you'll need: pillow, cloth, sewing machine or needle & thread, scissors, ruler and buttons (I used the snap on buttons)

1. Measure and cut the cloth. It should be a little bit bigger than the size of your pillow. (two pieces just like in the project above) Mine is a 20x20 inch square.
2. Sew any embellishments you want to the front piece.
                                                        I'm sticking with the simplicity theme
3. Sew three edges together. Affix the buttons on the last edge (using instructions that came with the buttons.)
4. Put pillow in, button it up and you're all done.

See you guys next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment