Monday, March 21, 2016

Said no one ever...

This blog will be full of someecards. I love these so I am borrowing them for my blog.  
They aren't mine & I don't take credit for any of their wit.

Last month, I called in sick to work due to menstrual cramps.
       I haven't done this since high school (where I stayed home almost every month because I was too much of a wuss to deal with the pain and, let's be honest, I hated high school and had absolutely no desire to be there so any excuse to stay home was a good one.)
       In my adulthood, I never wanted to call in sick for my 'womanly problems'. I always thought... "It is embarrassing. It is a sign of weakness. It makes me a woman." No one thinks endometriosis is a big deal. "It's not a real disease", they say, "it's just a weak woman complaining about her pain." We get chastised. "Oh it must be her time of the month," people whisper snarkily, "she can't even handle her own body."
       So each month, I would take a strong dose of pain medication, wear dark and comfortable pants, say a little prayer that I wouldn't faint from the pain and head on out to work. Each month it was excruciating. It got worse and worse, especially over the past few years. I started having to bring extra pain medication just to have on hand at my desk. I started bringing an extra set of clothes. Finally, I decided it wasn't worth it. Employees call in all the time...and on February 4th, 2016, it was my time!
Getting to stay in bed that day was the best thing to ever happen to me. LOL Yes, I was still in terrible pain but it was wonderful to get to rest instead of suffering through the workday.
       My place of employment is aware of my health issues and my boss was very understanding. Upon my return to work, I thanked my boss profusely and doubled my efforts to make up for lost time. No one called me out for being weak, I wasn't expected to feel guilty for staying home and no one demoted me for not being able to be at work; everything was just all in my head. I won't be abusing this knowledge to call in on a regular monthly basis, but I do feel as if a huge burden has been lifted from me. I now know that if I ever am in too much pain, I can take a sick day. It's a light bulb that just turned on: Endometrosis is a valid reason for a sick day. I was in pain that day. I was sick.

I don't know if anyone else has ever feared using a sick day for menstrual cramps. 
I don't know if anyone else is ashamed of their ill functioning reproductive system. 
But if you are and need some enlightenment, here it is. 
       Please read my blog and know that you are not alone. Also know that you shouldn't put your body through the stress of having to be at work when you really should be at home caring for yourself. 

Speaking of caring for yourself... I have one short rant before I let you go. I drive by this billboard every day on my way home from work. I understand its message regarding caregivers but it still makes me angry.
I remember how my mother cared for me when I was a child and I plan to return the favor. I also plan to care for my step-father and husband in the same way. No problem. 
       The problem is that I will never have a child. How I see it is, this billboard is telling me that I will never be cared for in my old age because I cannot fulfill my initial role as a mother. How disappointing! Fortunately, I have already planned for this and it doesn't come as much of a shock. I'm smart so I've been carefully putting away money for retirement and I monitor my health very closely to avoid any major complications as I age. I am aware that I am an only child with very few friends so my last years will be difficult. My mother, step-father & husband are all older than I am so I expect them all to go first. But I am fully ready to take care of myself when that time comes. With all that set aside, this billboard still does offend me. I have a hard enough burden to bear with my infertility, I don't need a billboard reminding me that I will have to suffer through ailing age on my own. 
        And, why should my female role be one of a mother? Why can't this woman in the billboard primarily be a politician or athlete or business woman? Why is her "role" one of a parent? There are plenty of women who either cannot have children or choose not to have children. Are we all going to die alone in one childless arena designed for childless females?
       And what about those mothers whose children succumb to disease or fight & die in wars? They took care of their children but due to whatever ill circumstances, their children will not be able to care for them in the future. Did the AARP think about the possibility of offending those women as well?
       Gawd, I can't wait until this campaign ends so they can remove that billboard. I would much rather see something telling me to enjoy Coca-Cola each day. Breathe, Erica, breathe... the AARP is just trying to help... it's not trying to offend you. Okay...I'm off my soapbox. Let's calm it down and wind it down...

       This last picture isn't empowering and probably doesn't go with the rest of this blog entry but I thought it was hilarious. I literally laughed out loud when I saw it. And when we're suffering from an angry uterus, a laugh is much needed.







No comments:

Post a Comment