Monday, November 13, 2017

Erica & Wes go to Ft. Worth, TX, pt.2

Ahhh Sunday, day 2 in Fort Worth (if you missed day 1, you can read about it here- http://ragsreborn.blogspot.com/2017/11/erica-wes-go-to-ft-worth-tx-pt1.html.) Sunday was art museum day because the Modern Art Museum is free on Sundays... and we're a frugal pair. LOL I am not the biggest fan of contemporary art (mostly because I don't "get" it and, honestly, while I understand that art is supposed to provoke you and start a conversation, I really just rather enjoy it), but I took to The Modern a lot more than I anticipated I would. I actually would recommend going, even if modern art isn't your "thing" because the museum housed a large variety of art and I'm sure you can find one exhibit you'll enjoy. My favorite part was the Sculpture Garden. There weren't too many sculptures (as Wes pointed out) but the ones they had were very unique. There was a larger-than-life horse made from tree branches and two life-sized metal trees that were shaped as if the wind was blowing them into each other. The trees were positioned near the reflective pool that surrounded the museum so you could see their mirror image from the second floor.
Also at the museum was the Haunt exhibit. Its a collection of photographs taken at various haunted houses throughout the nation. I wouldn't say the photographs were scary (there were little children present and they didn't seem frightened) but the photographs were definitely disturbing. I think they were meant to be more jarring than "scary" in the traditional sense, but if I had seen the images in person at a haunted house, I would have been creeped out. Wes says they weren't scary (frightening, jarring, disturbing, etc.) at all, so it could just be me. He said he just saw it as any other art form; an artist's expression. I am more of a wimp than he is and this is probably also another reason why I don't fully appreciate contemporary art. LOL Anyway...since the gift shop didn't offer any replicas of the entangled trees, I bought a gradient puzzle. It is literally a 500 puzzle piece puzzle that is nothing but green fading into blue color. Its going to be awesome. 

After the art museum, we headed to Buc-ee's... the greatest gas station in the entire universe. This was our third time visiting Buc-ee's and I'm officially making it a tradition to stop here every time we are in or drive through Texas. Buc-ee's is large (a bazillion gas pumps!), clean, friendly, reasonably priced and has both convenient store type snacks and a hot food deli. I mean seriously, there is so much food at Buc-ee's! There is a beef jerky bar, fudge stand, walls and walls of snacks, tons of drinks, sandwiches, salads and cheese plates, the list goes on and on. And there are souvenirs galore!
While at Buc-ee's, I noticed that Texans love hitching stuff to their trucks... RVs, boats, go karts, other trucks...

We had lunch at Buc-ee's and then did some shopping. For lunch, I ordered the Signature Spicy burrito with added guacamole and Wes ordered the chicken tenders plate. My burrito was probably the size of my face. LOL The food was good. I would say it is comparable to sit-down restaurant quality food and surpasses any other gas station food I've ever eaten. The only downside is that there is not an area to sit down and eat; no tables inside or outside. Wes hypothesized that it was to deter loiters and panhandlers. We ended up eating in my car, which was fine because there was plenty of parking. After lunch, I bought some Beaver Nuggets (puffed caramel corn) and Beaver Nug-ee's (spicy puffed corn cheese balls) for the ride back and we headed home. There was a football game in Texas that weekend so the drive back into Oklahoma was slow going. Although it was a slow drive, I preferred it over the insanity of the construction and Texas traffic. All in all, a good trip.
Sadie & Athena loved their Buc-ee's souvenirs! 

No comments:

Post a Comment