Monday, March 6, 2017

March is Endometriosis Awareness Month.


I feel like it is my responsibility as a sufferer of severe endometriosis to spread awareness through my writing this month, but I am at a loss of what to blog about. I have a pretty good hunch that you either already know what endometriosis is (thanks to celebrities like Padma Lakshmi, Julianne Hough, Halsey and Lena Dunham) or you don't care what this strange-to-pronounce-disease is. Either way, I won't bore you with facts and medical research. (If you want to learn what endometriosis is, here are some helpful links https://www.buzzfeed.com/laraparker/things-women-with-endometriosis-want-you-to-know?utm_term=.yppNG5bpY#.ljDb3paBv and  http://www.endochallenge.com/2017) Instead, I will share my small victory story.

I was diagnosed with endometriosis a few years ago but never spoke up because there was no way to win. If I complained about it in public, it would just add to the assumption that women are cranky bitches during that time of the month and we are all just being overly dramatic. I kept quiet until my place of employment implemented a new sick time policy. It's a pretty lengthy policy and since I don't have our employee handbook with me at the moment, I will paraphrase.

Too many employees were calling in "sick" (but in reality, they were just playing hookie). Management and Human Resources wanted to get this under control so employees are not allowed to call in sick anymore. In order to use paid sick time, employees are now required to give 24-hour notice of any absence due to medical reasons. I don't know about you, but it is my belief that there is no reason for me to be at work when I am unfit and will not be a productive employee so I ignored this new sick time policy. I continued to skip a day of work when my cramps were too painful or I would go home early if my period was too heavy. I went undetected for a while but, eventually, I was summoned to my manager's office.

Luckily for me, and unlike a majority of the population, my manager actually understood that endometriosis is an actual medical disease!!! \(^_^)/ Hallelujah! She didn't accuse me of abusing my sick time privileges or tell me that painful periods are just another part of womanhood. She asked if I had ever considered applying for intermittent FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act).  I contacted both Human Resources and my OB-GYN doctor and after a swift process of paperwork, I am now approved for intermittent FMLA leave. Once a week each month, I am able to skip two to three days of work with no questions asked. While this does not cure my endometriosis or repair my reproductive system, I am still calling it a victory.

So here is the takeaway from this blog... endometriosis is a painful medical condition. Period. (no pun intended) Chronic abdominal pain is not normal. Heavy debilitating menstrual cycles are not normal. If you suspect that you are a sufferer of this disease, speak up and get whatever aid you need. I know that a majority of the people you talk to will not believe you, misdiagnose you and maybe even laugh at you but that is no reason to stay quiet. If I had spoken up to my manager sooner, I could have been on intermittent FMLA leave probably two to three years ago. To my fellow endo-sisters, if you continue to speak up, eventually, you will find that one doctor, that one friend, that one person who understands what you are going through and is willing to help. By the way, I am that one friend so if you want, please feel free to message or comment... we are all in this together!


No comments:

Post a Comment