Monday, August 15, 2016

Sometimes life is like a bunch of discarded jewelry that you turn into a beautiful necklace...

I made this necklace for Lacey last Christmas. As I was creating my vision for the finished product and stringing the beads, I had a great blog idea but it's been almost a year and still  no blog has been written. Luckily, I still remember the basic gist of my metaphor... but I lost my blog outline with all the details & examples. I guess it's for the best because I really need to make this a short post... got lots of craft show planning, sewing and executing to do! Why are there never enough hours in the week??! (*insert crying emoji here*)

So the story goes like this...
Step 1 of making the necklace- I had all these random pieces of discarded jewelry, which represented parts in my life that I was unhappy with. I didn't want to throw the jewelry away but I didn't like how it looked in its present state.

       I'm naturally a pessimist. I'm learning to accept that the universe is kind of a bitch. (ex. I've experienced death of family members since an early age, I live with a painful chronic disease which has no cure, and I work at a dead end job while trying to get my tiny small business off the ground.) Of course, there's good in my life, too, but when you're a pessimist, your brain is wired to focus on the bad.
Step 2 of making the necklace- I cut apart all the old necklaces & bracelets and organized the beads into categories that were visually appealing to me. Then I started to plan out how I wanted to create my new & improved necklace.

       I used to beat myself up all the time over how unfairly things turn out. But, I'm learning that a lot of the time, I am a good person and it's completely not my fault. The situation is out of my control. (ex. I work just as hard or harder than my coworkers but I get a lower raise just because I'm not friends with my boss on a personal level. Ugh!)
Step 3 of making the necklace- I strung the beads using my vision of how I wanted this new necklace to look. At first, it seemed like a silly idea. I'm making a Christmas present out of old discarded jewelry that even I don't want anymore. But, as I got more and more into making my design, I started to notice how nicely it would turn out.

       Over the past few years, I've taught myself to accept the way things are (ex. I have endometriosis. I understand that I will be in severe pain. It is a problem but I have a solution... I will take copious amounts of pain medication, pack an extra pair of underwear & pants and continue to live my life.)
Step 4 of making the necklace- I just kept on stringin' those beads and the more I did, the more I enjoyed this little project.

       Instead of being frustrated with my lot in life, I've been working on making the most of what I have (ex. I don't do as well on social media and at craft shows because I'm an introvert but I'm still making friends with other vendors by just being myself and I will continue to work hard at not being afraid of engaging with people at shows and I will even invite them to my booth and make small talk.)
Accept and look on the bright side...that has been my personal mantra over the past year or so.


No comments:

Post a Comment