Monday, July 4, 2016

Hue & Mike got hitched...about time!

A friend of my mom's from church was hired as the wedding photographer so he has all of the professional pictures. Mine aren't that great but they have a candid quality.

The past two weeks I blogged about all my DIY wedding ideas but, I haven't even blogged about the wedding itself...how selfish of me! No juicy wedding drama, just a good ol' time to be had by all! I got to see some of my family from out of town, catch up with some of my mom's friends from church & her job and finally meet Mike's family.
Trevor and Athena are laughing at the same joke.

After getting new contacts, a haircut, taking both dogs to the vet, doing laundry and finishing up the wedding decorations, I was ready for family to come into town. I spent a day with my favorite second cousins, Trevor & Andrew. They're grown teenagers now so they're a bit harder to entertain but we still had a good time. We hung out all day at my apartment playing with Sadie & Athena and playing Street Fighter 5. I also took them to the Asian grocery store and we made sushi for lunch.

Wes, myself, Sandy, my mom, Mike & Bill. Patty, the music teacher, took the picture so she wasn't able to be in it. One of the flower girls had plans so she was also absent.

First on the to do list was the wedding rehearsal and dinner. The music teacher at Gatewood Elementary (where my mom teaches) sang the Ave Maria, two of my mom's former students were the flower girls, I was the matron of honor, Mike's best friend whom he's known since the second grade, Bill, was the best man and Wes walked my mom down the aisle. The rehearsal was straight forward and simple. My mom & Mike opted for an abridged wedding (no Catholic mass) so that saved a ton of time!

 Then it was time to eat. Mike suggested Fuze for dinner because it is a giant buffet with all types of food. Everyone would find something they liked. The restaurant was packed and they sat us right next to the live music. Aside from the noise, we had a nice dinner.

Andrew & Wes with matching Fallout shirts.

After dinner, we all went back to my mom's house. Everyone stayed up chatting and swapping stories. Then after that, Trevor & Andrew came home with us to play more Street Fighter. Correction... they played with Wes. I got home and went promptly to bed. LOL

The kitchen crew was amazing; they cooked & served the food, cleaned up the entire kitchen and kept a happy attitude all day.

WEDDING DAY!!! The decorating and cooking started at 8am. One of my mom's former students and her mom were already at the church when we arrived. They helped with decorations all morning. A handful of my mom's friends from Gatewood prepared an amazing lunch. A teacher baked and assembled the cake. Another Gatewood teacher did my mom's hair & makeup. I think every teacher from that school was present that day.

The bells tolled at noon and it was showtime. We all looked sharp as we walked in. The wedding was short and sweet. My mom and Mike were extremely happy. Everyone did great and no one fainted. LOL After the ceremony, we took tons of pictures. Then Wes & I witnessed the signing of the marriage certificate.
Check out the paparazzi! 
Two out of three of Mike's brothers - Nick & Pat.

When the photographer was happy with his portfolio, we headed to the reception party. (Mike's eldest brother, Jim, and Wes were the reception photographers since the wedding photographer had anther engagement.) For lunch, we had eggrolls (a gift from one of my mom's friends), salad, oven roasted chicken, green beans, fried catfish and rolls. Everything was delicious! It was nice to see everyone as my mom & Mike made the rounds (I followed behind them as their unofficial photographer). I got to catch up with an aunt who I haven't seen in probably five years, our Statefarm agent, my mom's neighbors who've known me since I was in grade school, all the teachers at Gatewood and my former Sunday school teacher.
All of my mom's new in-laws.

Mike didn't do much of the decision making during the wedding planning but he did want some say in the cake. They ended up with a three tier marble cake with yellow frosting and nerdy wedding toppers. He kept joking that the wedding would represent the joining of two empires. I didn't think my mom would let it happen but Uhura and Darth Vader ended up on top of their cake!

Before everyone left, my mom did the traditional bouquet toss. All the single ladies went out to the parking lot. One teacher's teenage daughter, Heather, caught the bouquet. 

The day started off stressful (as I assume most wedding days would) but everything went smoothly and I had a really good time. My mom works with the best and most supportive coworkers. I've never seen an entire school rally together and come out to one of their own's weddings. I think they did about 50% of the work before and after the reception and comprised 75% of the attendees at the ceremony. Wes was also a wonderful help and looked handsomely stunning in his tuxedo. My mom & Mike were beaming with happiness and love all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment