Monday, May 2, 2016

Some of Erica's favorite places are Asian grocery stores.


If you haven't been to an Asian grocery store, I highly suggest that you go visit one. Wes & I go to the Super Cao Nguyen here quite often. It's pretty low key compared to the ones in Texas and California. Those are ah-maze-ing!! There's all sorts of unique (aka weird but delicious) groceries, different languages being spoken throughout, a local restaurant and/or bakery serving fresh hot foods and the whole environment is just so much fun. They're almost like the open air markets you find in big cities and in other countries. All forms of manners and politeness are null once you walk in: there's no such thing as waiting in line or saying excuse me; if you want something, you just reach and grab it (pushing aside whomever is in your way); there are wild children running around parent-less, and if you want to tell your cousin something who is three aisles over, just yell it out loud in Chinese. Now don't get me wrong, none of these things are bad. It's actually rather exciting. (The only stressful part is the parking lot.) I love to visit the 99 Ranch Market every time I go out of town. And, I like the experience of going shopping here locally on a Sunday afternoon.
OMG just look at all those green vegetables...and ramen, tofu and chips!!

When I was younger, my cousin would often spend the weekends with me. My parents would take us to the old Cao Nguyen market (before it got a makeover and moved into a much larger building) and drop us off at the rice pallets. Toward the back of the store, there were a few pallets piled high with large bags of rice (25lb bags, 50lb bags, etc.) We would climb all over the rice as if it was a jungle gym and play "King of the Mountain." Strangers would tell us how cute we were and we would thank them in Cantonese, which made us cuter, and then they'd give us candy. Oh, those were the days!
Shrimp, lychees and choy (leafy greens)... three of my favorites.

This afternoon, Wes & I went to Super Cao Nguyen to get groceries and ingredients for dinner. For my blog tonight, I would like to share our dinner recipe with you-- HOMEMADE VIETNAMESE SPRING ROLLS.
Our shopping basket.
Spring roll recipe:
       Ingredients needed- 

  • spring roll wrappers (I like the "baby in a box" brand)
  • rice noodles
  • lemon grass
  • shrimp
  • tofu
  • mint
  • shredded carrots

We're using fresh mint that we've been growing ourselves.

(Actually, if you could prepare steps #1, 2 & 3 at once, that would be ideal. It is best if the shrimp, tofu and noodles are finished cooking at the same time so all the components can stay hot and fresh for wrapping.)

1. Prepare the meat (shrimp in this case; you can use whichever meats you fancy).
       Peel the outer bark off the lemon grass. Then chop into small pieces and dice in a food processor. Set aside.
       I always get fresh shrimp from the butcher section of the market so it's necessary to peel and de-vein the shrimp. If you are using frozen shrimp, go ahead and skip this step.
       In a wok or large sautee pan, cook the shrimp with the lemon grass and a little bit (probably a tablespoon but I never measure) of water. Set aside. Lemon grass shrimp is delicious so try not to eat any...
This picture is blurry so it doesn't look as appetizing but I promise it is yummy.
   
2. Prepare the tofu.
       Slice the tofu into long slender pieces.
       Pan fry the tofu until browned on each side. Set aside.

3. Prepare the noodles-- boil a large pot of water, throw noodles in, stir around with chopsticks and let them boil until they're soft (let's say 5 minutes. We want them cooked but not mushy.)

4. Set out all your ingredients in an assembly line fashion.
       Shrimp, tofu, noodles, mint, carrots all in separate containers.

5. Fill a large bowl half full with cold water.  Soak the spring roll wrappers ONE AT A TIME in the water. Soak until they are softened and malleable. Try not to tear the wrappers. They should not be too soft, wrinkly or begin to disintegrate.

6. Place a small handful of noodles, a few shrimp & slices of tofu, some carrots and mint at the base of the wrapper. Tightly roll the spring roll, folding in the sides and continue rolling until the entire wrapper is rolled in.

7. Serve either immediately or chilled (I prefer immediately). Serve with sweet peanut sauce (yuck) or Sriracha or soy sauce.
I tried to take an artistic picture but my soy sauce went everywhere. I could never be a fine dining photographer :( 




No comments:

Post a Comment