Monday, May 16, 2016

Erica discovers the Dallas Fabric District.


A couple of months ago, I found out that Hancock's was planning on closing. It is the largest fabric and sewing supply store in Oklahoma City. It can't close!! Where will I get fabric? In a panic, I got on Google and searched for fabric stores and learned that Dallas has a FABRIC DISTRICT. An entire part of town that has nothing but fabric stores??!?! OMG, I must go!!

I love Project Runway so when I walked into Golden D'or Fabrics, I was like, "OMG, it's happening...I feel like I'm in Mood. Make it work!"

As I mentioned last week, The Darkness concert was on a week night so Wes & I took some vacation time off work and stayed in Dallas for two days. (Any excuse to take time off work, am I right?) On the second day, we went to the Fabric District (which is really a subsection of the Warehouse District but we didn't go into any of the other surplus stores). We drove out to a pretty sketchy part of Dallas and parked at the first warehouse-- Golden D'or Fabrics. It was a huge fabric outlet and a sewing machine store. It ended up being my favorite store in the distinct. (^_^) April was serger month so they had all the models out and they were all on sale and I wanted one but I refrained. I walked around in awe and picked out a couple of fun fabrics and patterns. I wanted everything but I knew we'd have many more stores to visit so I only bought my favorites.


We left my car at Golden D'or and walked to the other stores. It was all on one side of the street but in between the fabric stores were strip clubs and road construction so it made for an interesting morning walk. The other fabric warehouses were much cheaper in price but their selection of fabric wasn't that great. And the stores were much less organized.
       We went into an extremely cheap warehouse that had a good selection of material but it was all stacked on top of each other on large tables. It was a nightmare to look through. There was also a lady there aggressively haggling and making a scene so it was super awkward.
       There was one store (Fabrictopia) that sold nothing but spandex. I saw mermaid tail patterned spandex and wished I knew how to sew yoga pants.
       After getting a bunch of stuff for RagsReborn, I decided to start getting materials for the decorations I am commissioned to make for my mom's wedding. I ended up getting some red suede and almond fringe. Almond is a very difficult color to find and match, by the way.
       I bought some faux chiffon that I plan on using to make an infinity skirt. And a really cute mint and white floral fabric I'm hoping to make a pencil skirt out of.


After dragging poor Wes into all the fabric outlets, I decided it was time to go to lunch. (He held my bags for me and helped me find almond colored trim. Yay for a supportive husband!!) We went across the street to a really yummy and authentic Mexican restaurant, La Paisa. Their lunch special was 75 cent tacos! We got three tacos a piece, some chips & queso and Mexican soda. The tripe taco was soooo good. After lunch, we drove home with happy and full bellies. The Darkness in concert and a day exploring fabric warehouses... what an amazing way to spend our first wedding anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment