Monday, November 30, 2015

Erica made an infinity wrap last year.

I've only sewn a couple pieces of clothing...my most impressive being a skirt -- read about that here. I usually just hem up pants and skirts (because being short blows) and mend holes in clothes. I would like to start sewing actual articles of clothing but I haven't had much time. My mom sewed all of my clothes from birth until about 6th or 7th grade. At the time I hated it because it made me stand out even more as "the weird sheltered Chinese girl" but looking back at old pictures, I now see that I had some pretty bitchin' outfits. Popular kids and bullies be damned. I wish I still had a homemade wardrobe but I sadly have not been able to wear or make any more Ngo creations.  
I made this "Bina Brianca" infinity wrap last autumn but never got around to blogging about it (I think I started it the night I made the wrap but never finished it). It's getting chilly now and I'm wearing it again so I thought, "Hey, what a great time to bring this blog entry back out!" 

I saw the wrap online and kinda stole the idea but homemade infinity wraps are everywhere so I'm not the only one ripping off the Brianca company. It took a ridiculously long time to make because I took a really long time to measure the cloth properly but it's a really easy project. It literally can be done in two steps. 

After reading chapters about my honeymoon vacation, you guys need a break. So here's a short and sweet (and easy!) tutorial for this week.

INFINITY WRAP TUTORIAL:
     Materials needed- cloth (preferably jersey or something "flowy"), scissors, tape measure, sewing machine, pins

1. Section out your cloth into three pieces. 
     One for the middle (back) and two for the sides. 
     The middle piece should measure four times your body width (aka you can wrap it around yourself 4x). 
     Each of the two side pieces should be half the size of the middle. So, each side piece should be able to wrap around your body twice. 
After this is all measured, cut the cloth into the three sections.

2. Now you will pin the pieces back together (yeah, it sounds a little silly since we just cut them all apart).
     Before doing this, I folded & sewed a hem along the inner edges of each piece of cloth to keep it from fraying in the future. After you have your hems sewn, pin the two side pieces to the middle piece.
Sew each side piece onto the middle piece from the top to about a third into the middle, then sew from the bottom until about a third into the middle. 
     You're basically sewing it back together and leaving ample room for arm holes.
As promised, done in two steps. There are infinite ways to wear the wrap (see what I did there?) and you can google them all but I mostly like to wear mine as either a scarf or a shawl. Keep warm and happy late Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment