Monday, August 3, 2015

Wes is cooking again...

...and he's making chili. Last week's blog was a bit long so we'll keep this one short. I am also photographing and blogging and sorta helping in the kitchen as Wes cooks & dictates instructions to me (I'm a multitasking extraordinaire over here!) so I don't have much time for storytelling anyway. Wes is quick in the kitchen so this is just a little difficult. Hopefully, I won't leave out any steps. He's my proof reader anyway, so if I leave something out, I'm sure he'll add it back in. Enjoy!

--By the way... my husband's best dish is his slow cooker chili. So.effing.YUMMY. We haven't entered any competitions but if we did, I'm almost certain we'd place. We use the same basics each time: meat, tomatoes, chili powder but we also like to mix it up and do something a little different each time. This combination of meats and vegetables made for an amazing recipe. Its the middle of summer but, what the hey, let's go ahead and make some chili anyway! (Remind me to not get into children's poem or book writing.)--

Wes' Chili recipe-
       Ingredients needed:

  • 3 stalks of celery
  • 6 small peppers (You can use any combination of any type of pepper you want--all hot or all mild or a mix of the two. We are using banana peppers from our garden. They are a medium mild pepper.)
  • 1 pound of ground beef (I was going to type 'tube' because that's what it comes in but Wes made me change it to pound.)
  • 9 ounces of beef chorizo (which also comes in a tube)
  • 1 16 ounce can of diced potatoes (We used the canned potatoes with jalapenos because we're using milder banana peppers.)
  • 2 10 ounce cans of diced tomatoes with lime juice and cilantro (You must get the cilantro lime tomaotes...the other ones aren't as good!)
  • 1 tablespoon green onions (because neither of us like traditional onions)
  • A tiny "little bit" of garlic (Wes' measurement)
  • Wes says he never measures the amount of chili powder he puts in there... let's just say a 4 tablespoons of dark chili powder & 2 tablespoons of regular chili powder

1. Remove the seeds from the peppers and dice them. Then dice the celery.
The man moves too quickly so I only got a picture of the peppers. The celery wasn't diced too small. I would say about pieces a quarter inch thick.
2. Put the diced vegetables in the crock pot along with the garlic and green onions. Also, add the potatoes. It doesn't matter what order you add them in since we'll be stirring them together at the end anyway.
3. Put both meats in a pan and brown them together. Make sure they are mixed up really well. (Check out my action shots!!)

4. Put both cooked meats atop the veggies in the crock pot.
5. Add tomatoes and chili powder. 
Cilantro lime tomatoes only!! I am obsessed with cilantro!!
6. Stir thoroughly to make sure everything is combined.
7. Cook on high for 3 hours. 
       I have no nutritional or serving size/amount for this recipe. I can tell you its pretty spicy, not gluten free and not vegan. We usually have a bowl each for dinner and then there's enough left over for us to do leftovers for lunch the next day. It keeps in the fridge for a few days and you can reheat it in the microwave or on the stove top. 
       Since taking a picture of a slow cooker sitting there for three hours is boring, here is a picture of Wes & Sadie resting after our hard work.



No comments:

Post a Comment