Monday, February 2, 2015

If you host a game night, pretty please invite Erica.

That title probably sounds a tad bit desperate but its been a long time since I've been to a game night. I have friends who would host a Cards Against Humanity night or some sort of trivia or other party game night but we haven't been having many get-togethers lately.
Here's my game collection. Let me know if you want to come over : )

Several years ago, I had a group of friends who played complex role playing games (most of them involved too much strategy for me to enjoy but others were actually pretty fun) but I've sadly lost touch with them, too. There was one game they played that I really liked. Its called Red Dragon Inn. Its hard to explain so I won't try...but I swear its fun. I played once with a group that included my friend, Vietfil (who is also Catholic...which is an important detail to this story). In the game, you draw cards that resemble drinks; most of them are alcoholic which take away your life. But some drinks revive you. One of those such drinks is Holy Water. Twice in the night that we played, Vietfil was about to die in the game and drew a Holy Water card. It was a miracle!!! After the first time, we started chanting the Hail Mary and she drew the card again! Mary was our homegirl that night!! I'm not making fun of Catholics or anything like that, but it was pretty hilarious. Since I've already outed myself as a nerd, I'll tell you one more story before crafting.

Last Autumn, Wes and I went to visit my cousin and her family in Arizona. Her youngest son had the Dungeons and Dragons beginner set. He was so excited to finally have willing participants (his brother refused to play). Wes and I managed to get through a game with Andrew. We didn't finish our quest. And I would not play a second round...no offense but that game goes sooooo slowly and I just don't have the patience! I think we played for almost three days... just to fail at our quest. >.> I think Andrew almost wanted us to fail because he thought it would be funny. Here's a picture of him being a smug Dungeon Master.


My craft tonight incorporates games and is something you can use for your next game night.
COASTERS!
Not just any coasters, though... Coasters made from Scrabble tiles!! I had a set of Scrabble tiles growing up. I must have gotten it from a garage sale because I only had the tiles and no board. I rearranged the tiles into cute little phrases and glued them together to make a coaster.
The pictures are pretty self-explanatory but here are some tips:
* Set our your letters and prepare the phrases before you start gluing. As you can see, I was missing a "C" in Erica and attempted to use a Sharpie to fill the void. Its not the same : ( I did switch W's and M's and that isn't too noticeable.
* I used regular Elmer's glue and it worked just fine. No hot glue or craft glue needed.
* Glue 2 x 2 squares first and then glue those squares together. For example, on the top right one, I glued W-O and D-blank togehter. Then U-L and U-blank. Then I glued W-O-U-D-blank and U-L-U-blank together. I always find it easier to work with smaller chunks and then piece them together into the final product.
* Wait until the glue is completely dry before lifting off whatever surface you're working on.
* The pink blank squares are painted with nail polish. I also painted a coat of top coat nail polish over the top. This makes the coasters look glossy and prevents condensation from your drink from washing away the glue.
The sky's the limit on what you can phrase together on these. If you do make some, please comment and show me what you came up with!

No comments:

Post a Comment