Monday, February 23, 2015

Erica is making headbands!! (pt.2)

Continued from last week...
Yeah, I totally craft in my jammies. Ain't no dress code for bloggin'!
    Oh and I totally swapped Emma's headband for mine. The more I looked at hers, the more I kept thinking it wasn't her style. I really think the braided one suits her better. And now... Rachel, Elizabeth and I all have matching flower ones. The HCR department can be totes stylin' together! Hahaha.

Tutorial #3.
This one goes to a friend I've known for over 15 years. (they have song dedications...can I make craft dedications?) That's literally half my lifetime and a record in friendship for me. I'm not saying I don't keep in touch with people--because I try!-- but its SO HARD when friends move away for work or family or get overly consumed with said work and said family. But Lacey and I still manage to see each other about twice a month. And for that, I love her dearly.

Pearls headband tutorial:
Materials needed- elastic, cloth (I used two fabrics only because I wanted to incorporate some of the peacock cloth), string of pearls--mine is fake plastic costume jewelry, hot glue, scissors, and a  ruler

a. Cut a strip of cloth 15 inches long and 1 inch wide. I mainly chose those measurements because that's how wide my elastic is. Fold the cloth in half length wise and hot glue together. Now, glue each end to an end of your elastic. Headband made. Prettiness to come...
If I knew that all a headband was is a piece of cloth glued to some elastic, I would have 1. saved so much money my teenage years and 2. made so much money in my young adulthood making and selling these things!
b. Wind the string of pearls into small circles on your fabric. Glue down the pearls once you have the size of circle you want. I made a few of these.
c. Cut the pearl circles out of your cloth. I cut on the edge of the circle for the ones on my white cloth but left a border on my peacock ones since I wanted the pattern to show.
d. Glue the pearl circles into any arrangement on your headband from step A. And there you have it!

You can skip step A and just glue these to an existing headband. Which brings me to...

Tutorial #4.
I love letters! I think getting a letter in the mail is one of the best things EVER. I have one friend from college who still writes. Dominique and I don't write much nowadays, but I'll send out a letter every few months and she'll send me a card every now and then. Instead of just a card for her birthday, I decided to also include this headband (and some other gifties...none that I made, though, so who cares what they are? LOL).

Re-purposed headband tutorial:
      Materials needed - old headband, a flower adornment, cloth, felt, scissors and hot glue. I wanted to use the rest of my peacock patterned cloth. I thought it would be a good idea to use some in each headband to tie them all together as one themed project.

a. Get an old headband you no longer use...or one that you do still use but want to spruce up before the next time you wear it. Measure the felt the exact length of the headband (minus the elastic part) and hot glue it onto the headband.
b. Draw leaves onto the cloth and cut out. I did 10 leaves. I freehanded mine but if I had to do it over again, I would have found a pattern or drawn them out first. I wasted a lot of cloth on the ones I messed up and I couldn't quite get them all the same size.
c. Arrange the leaves into the pattern that you want, then remove and hot glue them on (hoping that you had memorized the pattern. Haha!) Then glue the flower to the center of your leaf cluster. Voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment