Monday, December 13, 2021

Wes & Erica's vacation photo album - St. Louis, MO - November 2021

Our last destination of the road trip was the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Since I droned on about that for a full blog post already, I'll just post about food here. 😋 Driving through the Midwest was awful; it was boring, the speed limit ranged from 50 - 70 mph and there were cops everywhere. There were some pretty parts with mountains and tress with their autumn leaves... so not ALL bad but I probably wouldn't make the drive again (I told Wes, let's fly next time, and he wholeheartedly agreed!)

Our first meal was at Imo's Pizza. They serve "St. Louis style" pizza with provel cheese and a crispy thin crust. Provel cheese is a mixture of 3 or 4 white cheeses, I don't remember which but Wes said he tasted Provolone and the Swiss cheese stood out to me. I liked the provel, but not on a pizza. It was really creamy (think Laughing Cow cheese spread) and would have tasted better on a bagel or crackers. I liked the extra thin crust. It was like pizza on a cracker or chip. I got a Cesar salad and it was literally covered in parmesan. I have never seen so much parmesan or croutons on a salad!! 

Before we went to the Gateway Arch, we had dim sum at Wonton King. OMG, this is the meal I've been needing in my life!!! 😋🍴 Wonton King served authentic Hong Kong style dim sum. It was so authentic the restaurant even smelled familiar (incense and perfume) ... it brought back memories of walking into an elderly relative's room or the herbal remedy section of an Asian grocery store. I wanted to order one of everything but we settled on a few of my favorites. The stuffed eggplant was the absolute best. 

For dinner that night, we went to Meskerem. It is an Ethiopian restaurant on South Grand. I need to live on South Grand (or at least visit again with more time)!! It was blocks and blocks of international cuisine. All sorts of Asian restaurants, Mediterranean food, pubs, comfort food, you name it, it was there. That street is my foodie dream come true. Anyway, I've never had Ethiopian food before and I liked it. I got the sampler platter & Wes got the lamb dish and we shared. My favorite dish was the carrot, potato and cabbage. I also liked the beef. Wes liked the cabbage, carrot and potato (minus the carrot) and the lamb dish. The food was served with a huge crêpe-like piece of spongy flat bread. I liked it but maybe would have preferred a different type of bread. The only other tiny thing I didn't completely like was that the food was cooked in a lot of ginger. The restaurant had Ethiopian music videos playing on the big screen tv, so that was neat, too.

Even though I was stuffed from dinner, I was determined to explore more restaurants on South Grand. We decided on dessert and went to Hot Box Cookies. Wes got the oatmeal chocolate chip and I got the monster cookie. A monster cookie is a granola cookie with whole M&Ms, chocolate chips and peanut butter. The pictures don't look too appealing but it was a good cookie. 

Our last meal in St. Louis was breakfast at 2Schae Café. The quaint café is on the bottom floor of an adorably historic apartment building. The entire part of town it was in looked like it was full of history. I got the salmon lox bagel and it was amazing. I'm glad we got good food as our last vacation meal. I couldn't imagine ending our road trip with a yucky loose meat sandwich! The half-way point between St. Louis and home is Springfield, MO and I picked out a Thai restaurant for us to stop at for lunch but neither of us were particularly hungry so we skipped. We did stop in Springfield for gas and I went to The Village Yarnery (a local yarn shop). I desperately wanted to stop in Uranus, MO for their fudge but Wes wasn't in the mood to make another stop and we were making good time on the road so we skipped that, too. The trip home was supposed to take anywhere between 8 to 9 hours but we made record time. Wes said we drove for at least 7 hours but I felt like we were only on the road for 5 or 6 (and I should be right because i was the one driving, right? 😅) So, there it is... another road trip done! We had a lovely time with lots of fun tourist attractions, a beautiful wedding and LOTS and LOTS of good food. I plan to return to St. Louis -- there is so much more for us to see, do and eat -- so I'll eventually get that fudge from Uranus! 


No comments:

Post a Comment