Monday, January 6, 2020

Wes & Erica go to Tampa, FL, part 3


Well, actually this post will be about sightseeing in St. Petersburg, Florida (sightseeing in Tampa was last week's blog post, here and here) ...and mainly pictures from the Dalí Museum. Earlier this year, I heard an advert on the radio about St. Petersburg & Clearwater. One of the main attractions was the Salvador Dalí museum and I was determined to go. I fell in love with Dalí's art when I studied abroad in Spain many moons ago. My friends and I went to his museum in Figueres and it captivated my imagination. The Dalí Museum did not disappoint. We ended up doing a couple of other things while we were in St. Petersburg.
We decided to go to the museum on a Sunday to experience the "Mimosas and Masterpieces" brunch. Its supposed to be an artisanal brunch using local ingredients that are currently in season. Sadly, it wasn't even half as great as I thought it would be. First of all, the waitress couldn't explain the specials to us, which was crazy because there is no brunch menu... all that we had to choose from was what the chef decided to whip up that morning and she had no idea what it was. 😒 Secondly, the service was extremely slow. And thirdly, our food was just meh. Brunch was: a grilled cheese sandwich that was soaked in olive oil and used a Spanish cheese (Manchego, maybe) that wasn't melted all the way, an average mimosa and the only thing that was super tasty - a artichoke bisque with a walnut pesto swirl.
After brunch we explored the museum. We started outside in the garden, which had a few sculptures, then wandered around the ginormous gift shop. There were two special exhibits at the museum: a virtual reality tour of a few of Dalí's paintings (we put on virtual reality headsets and followed these dots to "go into" Dalí's paintings; it was super cool but we had to take off our glasses so I couldn't see the dots very well and I suck at video games anyway so I would have had a hard time following the dots with or without my glasses. I think Wes had a much better time at it than I did) and the Midnight in Paris exhibit, which was a collection of artwork from Dalí's contemporaries in the Surrealist movement. Wes really enjoyed Midnight in Paris but I instantly learned that I'm not a fan of surrealism... I apparently just like Dalí's art and no one else's. LOL
The main galleries were absolutely memorizing. I felt like I stood and gazed at each work for an hour but we actually went through it all at a remarkably quick pace. We were only in the main galleries for about two hours and I expected the museum to take the entire day. There was a ton of Dalí's work, many smaller paintings and drawings and eight masterworks. The masterworks were huge wall-sized paintings (his famous ones: Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea which at Twenty Meters Becomes the Portrait of Abraham Lincoln and The Discovery of America by Christopher Columbus among others). My favorite piece is Sentimental Colloquy.

After the museum, we walked around St. Petersburg, did a little souvenir shopping (and A LOT of window shopping, it was Sunday so a bunch of the cute boutiques were closed) and sat at the marina at Demens Landing Park, which was the closest we could get to the ocean because we were not dressed for the beach. We ended up at the Sundial mall for lunch. There were a few upscale shops at Sundial but I wasn't feeling posh enough to go in them. We had lunch at Locale Market. Wes got a burger and I got tacos. Lunch was much much yummier than brunch was.

Our evening activity was Enchant Christmas at Tropicana Field. When I was researching activities to do, this came up as a "Christmas market" so I was thinking it was a local craft show. Oh no, it is so much more. There was a craft show (which was actually quite disappointing; no unique vendors. I think I've become a craft show snob because I've done so many myself) and food court (think gross concession stand food) but the main attraction was the light maze. I'm not a "get in the Christmas spirit" kind of person, but even I was impressed by the light maze. It was really rad and completely  made up for the lackluster craft show and food. The maze took up the entirety of the stadium and featured HUGE lighted snowflakes, Christmas trees and reindeer. All beautiful,colorful and full of holiday cheer. Wes noted that they used non-traditional Christmas colors so there wasn't an onslaught of red and green, which he appreciated. The premise was that all of Santa's reindeer got loose and we had to walk around the maze to find them. About every five minutes or so "snow" fell inside the maze. It was extremely busy so everyone just bumbled around instead of following a path to the reindeer. But it wasn't really a maze (more like a huge open space with some guidelines as to where to go) so it was okay to wander wherever. We walked around quite a bit and found all nine reindeer.

St. Petersburg makes for a good day trip but I wouldn't suggest planning for more than a day as there aren't very many tourist attractions. Its mostly shopping and dining. We spent two days in Tampa but we probably could have done everything in one day. I used to over plan for our trips and we were more exhausted than relaxed after a vacation. I've dialed it back and I only book one tourist attraction per day. It was nice to have the downtime but I sort of feel like we spent more time in the hotel than we did out and about, which was a tad bit boring. I need to find the medium between "aggressively sightseeing" and "lazy tourist". All in all, I think we had a nice time in Florida. We both really enjoyed the food (I've never had Cuban food until visiting). I'm sure the weather was supposed to be nice but I thought it was way too hot, especially for December! One last thing to note is that the Ubers were exceptionally clean, like I don't think I've ever ridden in vehicles as clean as the ones we got. So that's it for birthday #35, looking forward to 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment