Monday, May 29, 2017

Erica & Wes go to Tulsa, pt.2.

Tulsa on Sunday - a day at the Philbrook Museum of Art.

A few months ago, I saw an article about an installation art exhibit at the Philbrook Museum of Art. The early pictures looked so neat, I knew I had to go... and so off we went! (Since it is about an art museum, this blog post will mostly be pictures.) Before our day at the museum, we went to Tally's Cafe for breakfast. The diner serves an award winning chicken fried steak sandwich so that is what I ordered. It was delicious (and so much food!) The atmosphere was retro rock n' roll. There was a booth with Elvis memorabilia decor but, sadly, we weren't seated at that one. 

So about this yarn installation art... it was abso-freakin'-lutely amazing!! I want a replica at my house! LOL It was made from a bazillion pieces of colored yarn hung from the ceiling. It was visible from each floor and it looked different from each angle. Each piece together formed a rainbow effect and it looked like a triangle shape if you're looking at it from the outside. If you laid on the floor (which I did) and looked up at it, it looked like a Spirograph drawing (remember those art kits from the 90s?) I highly recommend taking the drive to Tulsa to view the exhibit before it is uninstalled. 

The Philbrook Museum is basically a very large mansion. Each room has art pieces displayed on the walls but still looks like a room within a house (with furniture, rugs and such). There were all sorts of artwork from all eras- religious oil paintings, pastoral scenes, ceramics from all cultures, African masks (Wes' favorite room) and even a mummy (my favorite room). It was all nicely laid out and the museum was navigable. Oftentimes, I feel like I miss a section or two of art museums because the layout is too much like a maze, but the Philbrook was very straightforward. We were able to fully see the museum in its entirety in about two hours.
It was a nice day out, so we also walked along the museum grounds. The garden had over 20,000 bulbs planted (according to the guide we received) but not many were in bloom, yet. There are also three resident garden cats! I only encountered one of them. There was also some yarn bombing on a few of trees.  There was a sculpture artwork path but we didn't follow it exactly so we probably missed some pieces. I wish we were hungry enough for lunch because the gardens were a perfect place for a picnic. I think I enjoyed the gardens as much as I did the art inside. 

After the art museum, we got some fun drinks and headed home. The skies must have let out all its rain Friday night because the rest of the weekend was gorgeous. Each restaurant we ate at was tasty. The two arts festivals were more different than they were similar so it kept the day interesting and the museum was great. Even Wes (who isn't as into art as I am) enjoyed the weekend. All in all, we had a fun art-filled weekend getaway!


No comments:

Post a Comment