Monday, February 6, 2017

RagsReborn, Street Cats and My Furry Valentine

My first time making catnip toys and they turned out pretty darn good!

It's almost Valentine's Day. Does everyone have romantic plans for their sweethearts? I have Valentine's Day plans with cats... well, not really with cats but more for cats. RagsReborn is proud to be donating two cat themed baskets to a charity gala benefiting a local cat rescue shelter.

My best friend in elementary school (go Kaiser Kangaroos!!) was a girl named Jessica. We hung out a lot and I have many memories of our childhood. One thing that sticks out in all of those memories is that she was obsessed with cats. It was a love I could not understand because I was allergic to cats and couldn't grasp what the big deal was about them. We lost touch but Facebook brought us back together a few years ago. We finally met up for coffee in December to catch each other up on our lives. Turns out that she still has a fondness for felines. Jessica is now a part of the Street Cats, Inc. organization in Tulsa. Street Cats is a non-profit volunteer based organization that shelters cats who have been abandoned, lost or surrendered. All of the cats they take in are adoptable and the shelter keeps the cats until they find their fur-ever home. Street Cats also maintains a spay and neuter program to control the feral cat population. One of Jessica's main jobs at Street Cats is to plan, organize and execute the annual charity gala, My Furry Valentine. That's where RagsReborn comes in.

Jessica told me all about her organization and the gala over our coffee date. The highlight of the event is a silent auction of items donated by local businesses and artists. She wanted me to make her some catnip toys for her own cat, Beau, and was hoping I could make a few extra to donate to the silent auction. Of course I would!! And not only would I just make catnip toys, I also agreed to donate some pillows and a tote bag. I told her I am a big supporter of animal shelters & rescue programs and would absolutely love to help. (^_^) I want to be involved in anything local! Although, this isn't a craft show, per se, I dedicated all of my time from mid-January to present to sewing items for my gift baskets. I'm hoping my hard work pays off and I can generate some extra money for Street Cats, all while getting my name out there as a local Oklahoman small business.
Auction item #1- two catnip toys and a pillow.

My Furry Valentine is scheduled for Sunday February 12th, 2016. The event will be held at The Tulsa Historical Society in Tulsa, Oklahoma from 1:30pm - 4:30pm. More information on the event can be found here- http://www.streetcatstulsa.org/my-furry-valentine/. Tickets are still one sale! If you are in the area, I encourage you to go. I, unfortunately, will not be in attendance but Jessica agreed to represent RagsReborn on my behalf. I am honored to be a part of this event and hope my auction items get the highest bid!
Auction item #2- catnip toy, pillow and tote bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment