Monday, April 18, 2016

Erica's first costume wedding

The happy groom & bride dressed as Pokemon trainers.
Last month, my friend Jessa married the love of her life and became a Mrs. (insert mushy "awwww" sighing here) She and her husband, Mason, are geeks and proud of it. LOL
For their wedding, they had a Pokemon themed costume party. It was just like the cosplay weddings you see on TV... everyone (well, not me because I went straight from work) was in costume, the decorations & cake were themed, and even the ceremony was staged as a "Pokemon battle." I don't know anything about Pokemon and have never attended a themed or costume wedding so I was in for a treat!
Have you ever seen a Ninja Turtle dancing with the Mad Hatter?
So many costumes!!
One would think that I wouldn't really enjoy myself since I'm not fanatical about video games or anime, but I had a great time :)  I got to see some old friends & meet new ones and I learned a thing or two about geekdom! I've learned that in social situations, if you ask questions, everyone will want to fill you in and that's the best way to make friends. Even though I couldn't really appreciate the intricacy of the Pokemon theme, I was very impressed by the table settings & decor and the bride's & groom's cakes were gorgeous. 
Bride's cake was from Pokemon and groom's cake was from Megaman.
I missed the entire wedding ceremony since it started in the mid-afternoon and I was still at work. I arrived just in time for the reception, though. I learned from other attendees that the ceremony was a staged Pokemon battle. I then learned that a Pokemon battle is where two trainers take their Pokemon out to fight. The ceremony went like this: the bridesmaids were Jessa's Pokemon and the groomsmen were Mason's Pokemon. They walked down the aisle and "fought." When it was over, the officiant announced that Jessa's and Mason's Pokemon teams would actually be better if they joined and worked together. So, it became official that the two of them would join and be together forever and ever. This is what I was told... I'm still waiting to see the video recorded ceremony.
Sadly, I also missed the first dance and maid of honor's & best man's speeches, but I arrived just in time for the cake cutting. For food, there was a taco bar ... aka heaven. It was probably the best tacos ever! They were home cooked by the wedding party. There was shredded pork, beef and turkey, flour and corn tortillas and all of the fixings. Instead of dancing and mingling, I was the fat girl who sat alone at the table and ate... and ate... and ate! 
This was when I went back for seconds. I already had 2 tacos before this but I forgot to take a picture and I thought, "For the blog's sake, I better go get more."
After dinner was taken care of, it was time for the bouquet toss! All the girls lined up on the dance floor as Beyonce's "Single Ladies" played in the background. Jessa pretended to throw the bouquet a few times and then she just spun around and handed the bouquet to one of her friends. What?? Her surprised friend stood there momentarily and wondered why a bouquet was just handed to her. Then her boyfriend tapped her on the shoulder. She turned around and he was down on one knee. OMG! Waves of awww's and sighs filled the room.  A wedding and proposal in the same night!
Red velvet cake pop.
The rest of the night consisted of chatting, dancing (which I did not participate in because I was pooped from work and I'm a killjoy), drinking and karaoke. I was able to catch up with two friends that I hadn't seen in literally a decade--one was married to the bride's sister and the other was also part of the family... small world. I stayed to watch a few karaoke performances and then left for the evening. I am so happy for Jessa & Mason. What a fun and unique evening!
My friend, Courtney with her husband, Alex, and their adorable Ruthie.
Oh and because I always have to brag about RagsReborn, here are the customized pillows I made as their wedding gift.
This was actually Jessa's bachelorette gift.
Pokeball pillows with the bride & groom's favorite colors.
Happy wedding day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment